Discipline, as the action from communication, therefore without an idea about the meaning of it, discipline can become a type of word that contains self-defense. Once we heard the word of discipline, then the first thing first comes will be a punishment or reward. Those are based on our act or our behavior throughout our environment either in the learning or working, we will able to become a teacher that possesses tremendous power to make children’s miserable or joyous (Haim Ginott, 2017), instead of to be a teacher that wants to work hand-in-hand with our students (Linda Albert, 1996). Then after doing more reading based on reading assignments and some educational journal sources, we know now, discipline is action or inaction (Wikipedia, 2021). Education is not only responsible for delivering to understanding and knowing of subject material, but educations are also responsible for helping the meaning and true behavior towards learning. Therefore, it’s important that education can have something that effective in the long-term life lessons (Jane Nelsen, 2017), also teach learners on valuable and social life skills (Jane Nelsen, 2017). Furthermore, if discipline can be communicating properly and wisely, then learners will humbly accept it. Adding more pressure without communicating it in proper and wise ways makes it likely that educational discipline will be hurting the true purpose of learning and education. But, through action and inaction like being strict for undesirable behavior and permissive through a feeling (Haim Ginott, 2012, Communicating With Children) then our learner can be more cooperative (Delisio, 2008, Practicing Love and Logic). It would be better to be flexible and creative in our shared real-life application on delivering the model of discipline to our learners.
Also, like the waves that shown a limitation, this tells me there is always a challenge in the process of applying this creative discipline that helped educators and learners. For one thing, we should not be bound by that limitation but challenge it will be like once we ride the wave like a surfer. In the journey of my teaching, since 2006, the first challenge that I faced which is once I move to China in 2012 to expand my teaching challenge, the challenge by the changeable schedule in some sort of periodically that you have never seen anywhere, for some unreasonable reason this happened in most of the public school in China. In order for me to ride the wave like a surfer then my readjustment just to concentrate during the number of class time for each week in which not changing while the school tries to always be scheduling our timetable. Also, the challenge in creative discipline sometimes can be like the visible light of waves. Like it mentioned in Positive Discipline by Jane Nelsen,” invites children to discover how capable they are and use their power constructively”, by means, once I know about what my students desire and passion to do, then I will do my best on communicating the acceptable connection on their passions and the thing that they supposed to learn in the subject, therefore my learners will also enjoying it and understanding it, by helping them with the feeling of the connection (Jane Nelsen, 2017) in which also kind and firm (Jane Nelsen, 2017). On other hand, once I treat this challenge carefully, they are neither the less only three types of waves, trigonometry sin/cos/tan types of waves. As it been mentioned and indirectly written about students won’t always remember what the teacher teach them, but they will never forget how the teacher treats them (Linda Albert, 1996), therefore to let my students educated also doesn’t stop them from exploring their passions, then I as their teacher just have to identify the reason and share it throughout their passions (Marshall, M., 2017, How to Discipline Without Stress) by mean I can start it by my point of view, my student point of view and experience, or the connection course point of view. It is fun to be creative discipline by expanding our point of view with a better on sharing for my students in the pursuit of their acceptance toward learning.
Finally, the professionalism of me as an educator to keep on applying this creative discipline, in my teaching practices on helping my student to grow. As Mathematical Physicist, I value the idea with reasoning and experiments. In terms of creative discipline discussion in which I do and tried to deliver to my students for them to find the fun through the connection that I build in our journey of learning, as one of the great teachers ever said if you can’t explain something in the simple term, you don’t understand it (Richard Feynman, 1996). The way that I have delivered on reasoning and experiment has led to a growing passion from one of my students from Indonesia that I taught in 2007 to become one of the recognizable chefs under the name Prince of Pastry in Indonesia (Ardika Dwitama, 2019), in which he was put in the challenging class at that time he learned in the school. On the other hand, not all educational institutes can accept this creative discipline model towards learning. In Singapore in 2008, for example, while I was teaching by keep changing the models of discipline according to the lesson, then my principal will come to my classroom each week for a month to monitor me, with the result that is telling me to be consistent on my models of discipline with the reason if I always change my discipline models then my students will be confused about following the lesson. It’s quite self-reflection that I need from each challenge once I got treated. And, many times, it may be challenging to allocate so many resources for one student, but the ultimate goal is to help my students learn and helping his/her behavior towards learning. (Hannigans, 2016). In conclusion, even though there is a challenge on me to distributing this method of creative discipline in order for my students on sharing and accepting the knowledge, but as a dedicated professional educator, then I should always know about learning is not about memorizing, teaching is not about ordering, and discipline is not about punishment or rewards, but all of them are the waves that been created to help on the application of creative discipline in positive classroom management.
01. Baker, K., McCallum, K., McGibbon, M., Stevens, N., & Zirpolo, J. (n.d.). Cooperative discipline model Linda Albert. Retrieved from: https://vrogersmanagementprofile.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/8/3/13836263/linda_albert_summary_3_pages.pdf [Accessed on Feb 10, 2021]
02. Delisio, E.R. (2008). Practicing Love & Logic can mean happier schools. Retrieved from: http://www.educationworld.com/a_admin/admin/admin536.shtml [Accessed on Feb 10, 2021]
03. Goodstein, D., & Goodstein, Judith R. (1996). Feynman’s Lost Lecture The Motion of Planets Around the Sun. Retrieved from: http://calteches.library.caltech.edu/563/2/Goodstein.pdf [Accessed on Feb 11, 2021]
04. Hannigan, Jessica, & Hannigan, John. (2016). Comparison of Traditional and Innovative Discipline Beliefs in Administrators. Retrieved from: https://journals.sfu.ca/cvj/index.php/cvj/article/viewFile/23/26 [Accessed on Feb 11, 2021]
05. Hein, S. (n.d.). Notes from Haim Ginott’s books. Retrieved from: https://eqi.org/ginott.htm [Accessed on Feb 10, 2021]
06. Marshall, M. (2017). How to discipline without stress, punishment, or rewards. Retrieved from: https://www.thoughtco.com/discipline-without-stress-punishment-or-rewards-3110686 [Accessed on Feb 8, 2021]
07. Nelsen, J., & Gfroer, K. (2017). Positive discipline tools for teachers: Effective classroom management for social, emotional, and academic success. Retrieved from: https://books.google.co.id/books?id=GgEQDQAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=positive+discipline&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=positive%20discipline&f=false [Accessed on Feb 8, 2021]
08. Radio, Janson R. (2019). Prince of Pastry Ardika Dwitama. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=-yd6OvlZ93M&fbclid=IwAR0xuIsi7c25iAFeyJ2F9sZnhpoaEqYeSGw18lDPoOzLPFfTiWqvMcEulXw [Accessed on Feb 10, 2021]
09. Wikipedia (2021). Discipline. Retrieved from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discipline#:~:text=Discipline%20is%20action%20or%20inaction,society%20or%20environment%20it%20belongs. [Accessed on Feb 17, 2021]